National Nutritional Month is celebrated during March. The focus of Nutrition Month is to encourage people to make better food choices and develop better habits. Good nutrition can help reduce risk of illness, increase energy levels, and more. Below are a few tips to get started with good nutrition.
1) Pre-pack your meals and snacks. This gives you healthy options when you get to work
2) Cook and eat at home when possible. This will give you control over preparation and cooking methods.
3) Drink Water. Water is the best way to quench thirst.
4) Eat more fruits and vegetables. The phrase "eat the rainbow" is one to live by. Fruits and vegetables will provide you with vitamins and minerals and most are low in calories.
5) Be aware of the different types of fats. Eat foods with healthy fats like fish and nuts. Limit foods with high saturated fats. Avoid foods with trans fat.
6) Combine good nutrition choices with moderate exercise.
When it comes to occupational health, workplace safety can begin at breakfast. According to the National Institutes of Health, people who skip out on a healthy breakfast are more tired and less focused throughout the day increasing the likelihood for on-the-job injuries. This shows that nutrition can have an impact on the job. What can employers do? Starting an employee wellness program or simply encouraging good nutrition habits can make an impact on workplace safety.
Contact MMC today to learn more about occupational healthcare services. 888-662-8358